Friday, August 15, 2008

Ode to Michael Phelps, etc.

I'm back from the land of beautiful lakes and cottages and visiting with wonderful friends! But more on that in another blog!

We got to enjoy the benifits of cable for 5 days, at my in-laws. And it was great timing too, to catch the first week of the Olympics! (Even though we got back from cottage country about 7 hours too late to sit in awe of the phenomenal (we heard) opening ceremony! drat!) I love the Olympics and I'm not even sure why. I think I get caught up in the personal stories of struggle and triumph, the moments of celebration and disapointment. Michael Phelps is amazing if I must say so; the bionic fish-man! Wonder what the next few days will bring him... But he really isn't the only reason to I enjoyed watching. I think I'm really much more of a cheering-for-the-under-dog kinda person than following the Michael Jordan's and Tiger Wood's of the world. I like un-sung heros. I've NEVER understood how getting a silver or bronze medal or making it to the Olympics and not placing could be SO dissapointing. I get that they work so freaking hard for so long and the dream is, of course, to be the one to walk away with a medal, preferably gold; but they made it to the OLYMPICS! That's amazing! I don't think I could stand on a podium clutching a bronze medal and have tears of dissapointment on my face.

But all that aside, I just love the whole experience of watching the Olympics. And now- we have no more access to them. So those of you with cable may expect to see me on your doorstep this next week with a bag of popcorn. Hope you don't mind! :)

No comments: